Thursday, February 11, 2016

Give It Up For Lent

A long time ago I gave something up for lent each year. For some types of Christianity, that is common. But the last few years were so stressful I took up this mentality:

I had three miscarriages. I've given up enough. I don't give things up anymore.

But this year I am giving up chocolate. With my spirituality restored since October comes rediscovering what it means to be Episcopalian. One example, I went to church with Zach and my mom on Christmas Eve. I haven't done that in years. But, it was a wonderful experience. I will be going again on Easter.

Since it's been a while I am rediscovering something else about lent............when it ends. I used to think it ended on Good Friday. That's the Friday before Easter. It turns out it ends on the Thursday before Easter. I've always known it lasts 40 days.

What I'm newly learning is that Catholics fast during lent. I've never fasted for a holiday. The only time I ever fasted was called my eating disorder and that had nothing to do with religion. If you're a fasting Catholic these days.............I wish you luck!

Lent starts on Ash Wednesday. Fat Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday and is connected with Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Now that I know about the fasting, the name Fat Tuesday makes a lot of sense. I never understood Mardi Gras until NCIS: New Orleans debuted last year (CBS Tuesdays at 9pm). This weeks episode cleared a few things up in particular. Further research helped confirm what I learned.

People give up food, alcohol, or other vices. Chocolate was an easy one for me. I like chocolate. But I know I can watch someone eat chocolate in front of me without it being a problem. It's a sacrifice because it's something I like. But, it's also something I know I won't cheat on. Finding what to give up can be tricky.

Some people cheat of Fridays. I'm not going to. If I gave up something that's harder for me to do without, I would cheat on Fridays. But, I specifically chose something I knew I could go without for 40 days. I don't even remember what I used to give up for lent. Sometimes you feel like you are making enough sacrifices in life. Some people can't afford much. They don't have the luxury of doing without yet another thing even for a short time.

Remember what happened what that line was crossed? It's a popular blog post from October so you probably do. All I needed in that moment was to hug our priest. She wasn't there so I hugged a deacon. We talked. Ever since that day life has gotten a lot better. Slowly, things are getting better. Rediscovering my faith and strengthening my trust in God has been wonderful. I finally feel blessed enough to make a sacrifice for lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment