Monday, July 13, 2015

Crochet Success!!!

I started teaching myself how to crochet this past winter. I used books and the internet to help. I even started a coaster project with patterns for each season and solid colors for the months. When I did enough of those to come out pretty, I knew I was ready for a project with actual instructions.

I tried to think about what kinds of things we would use. The only thing I can think of is winter hats. We don't wear scarves. Josh and Zach don't like sweaters. Zach got excited at the thought of wearing a hat all winter made by his mom.

One thing that stopped me from trying a pattern sooner was the lack of basic patterns. Everything has accents to add on or something about it making it too hard to make a basic. I'm still looking for a pattern book that teaches how to make things like a wrap without fancy stitching or accents. What's the basics for making a sweater? No pockets or flowers please! How about a basic Afghan? I just want to know the steps. How do you make a sleeve?

But I found the pattern at the end of this post on the following website.

http://www.beginner-crochet-patterns.com/how-to-crochet-a-hat.html

When I measured Zach's head I discovered it's only slightly smaller then my head. Great news!!! Because OCD kicked in and I planned to make five for me. I get tired of looking the same all winter so I decided to make one for each month in winter. Then I needed one for fall and one for spring. But I started with Zach's!!!

I got this at first:



Luckily, it's summer! So I was about to see someone I know that has crocheted for 25 years that I only see in the summer. It turns out I was doing a couple of small things wrong.

1. To make the next row bigger you need to make an increase stitch. I was making two where I only needed one.

2. The stitches were too small. I was generally doing the mechanics right. But, I was using my fingers to move the loops over the hook. She taught me how to loop the yarn over my left pointer finger and slide the hook without using my hands. Suddenly, I got this:



Much better, huh! Remember, it's July. He will be dressed appropriately when he wears it in the cold weather! There was only one modification from the basic pattern. The math for the below pattern for his 22" head would mean the flat part is 7" and the sides measure 8.8". This is 8". The extra 0.8" is probably supposed to be the part that folds up. He always hates that part.

The good news is if I ever want to add knitting to my arsenal I can ask Josh's mom :)! For now, I am happy with the planned projects and the other projects I've done.


Hot Pad I made for Josh's Mom

Hot Pad I made for MY Mom
 
 
Coasters I made for the holiday Shop at Zach's school.
 

Coasters for the Dad/Grandpa/Uncle table for the Holiday Shop at Zach's School.


Hat pattern I used:
*** The link above gives things you can add to it to make it with accents like a visor, side flops, or baby waves. There is more too.

Step 1. Measure the head circumference.

To ensure the proper fit of the hat we use head circumference. It is a measurement of a child’s (adults') head around its largest area -- it measures the distance from above the eyebrows and ears and around the back of the head.
If you can't obtain the exact measurement, here is the approximate measurements (head circumferences) for the ages:
Preemie baby: 11" -12" or 28 cm - 30.5 cm
Newborn baby: 13 " or 33 cm
Baby 2 weeks - 3 months: 14 " or 35.5 cm
Baby 3-6 months: 15" or 38 cm
Baby 6-9 months: 16" or 40.5 cm
Baby 9-12 months: 16 1/2 " or 42 cn
Baby 12-18 months: 17 " or 43.5 cm
Baby 18-24 months: 18 " or 46 cm
Toddler 2 years - 5 years: 18" - 19 " or 46 cm - 48.5 cm
Child 19"- 20" or 48.5cm - 51 cm
teenager 20-21" or 51 cm - 53.5 cm
Adult woman 22" or 56 cm
Adult man 23" or 59 cm

Step 2. How to Crochet a Flat Circle Top of the Hat

How to crochet a hat? Every crochet hat pattern starts from the top of the hat. The top of the hat is a flat round circle. The diameter of this flat round circle is your needed head circumference divided by 3.14. The diameter is a measurement of a circle in the thicker part (through the center). For example, you are making a hat for a newborn baby and the head circumference is 13" or 33 cm. The diameter of the flat circle bottom of the hat for this baby should be: 13" / 3.14 = 4.14" (10.5 cm)
Note: To crochet a flat round circle you'll need to add (increase) only 6 stitches in every row if you use SC (singlestitches) or 12 stitches if you use DC (double stitches),(not more, not less - that's a rule of a flat circle). Those 6 or 12 stitches in each row should be spaced evenly. In this tutorial we will use SC (single crochets).
If you crochet a hat in solid color (no stripes), there is no need to finish each row with a slip stitch and no need to begin each row with a CH 1. Work in spiral and attach a stitch marker to the last stitch of the row and move it up as you work progresses.


Row #1: CH 3, join in the ring with a slip stitch. SC 6 in the ring. Total = 6 stitches after completing this row.
Row #2: 2SC in each stitch (Make 2 SC in every stitch of the previous row). Total = 12 stitches after completing this row.
Row #3: [SC, 2SC] repeat [ ] 6 times. This means: make a SC in the first stitch of the row, make 2 Sc in the second stitch of the row, and repeate this pattern 5 more times.
In other words, you make an increase in every second stitch of this row and the total number of stitches after completing this row is 18.
Row #4: [SC 2, 2 SC] repeat [ ] 6 times. This means: make a SC in the first stitch of the row, make a SC in the second stitch of the row, make 2 SC together in the third stitch of the row. Repeat this pattern 5 more times. Total number of stitches will 24 after completing of this row.
Row #5: [SC 3, 2SC] repeat [ ] 6 times. In other words, make a SC in the first stitch of the row, make a SC in the second stitch of the row, make a SC in the third stitch of the row, make 2 SC together in the 4th stitch of the row. Repeat this pattern 5 more times. Total number of stitches will 30 after completing of this row.
Measure the diameter of your flat circle. If you need more rows, continue rows adding 6 SC stitches for every row spaced evenly.
For example, Row #6 will be: [SC 4, 2 SC] repeat [ ] 6 times, total = 36 stitches, Row #7 will be: [SC 5, 2SC] repeat [ ] 6 times, total = 42 stitches and so on untill you reach the needed diameter.


Here is how to crochet the center of the hat in pictures:
CH 3, join in a ring with a slip stitch
Row #1: SC 6 in the ring (make 6 SC stitches in the center) and attach a stitch marker to the last (6th)SC stitch to indicate the end of the row (it can be a safety pin as well).
Row #2: 2 SC in each stitch
Row #3: [SC, 2 SC] repeat [ ] 6 times
and so on until you reach the needed diameter

Step 3. How to Crochet the Sides of the Hat.

After you made the flat round bottom of the hat, you need to make the sides. In other words, now you need to ensure the proper height of the hat. The formula for the height from top to bottom is:
Head circumference /10 x 4.
For example, if you make a hat for the newborn baby, the head circumference is 13". The height of the hat will be:
13/10 x 4 = 5.2 ''
After you reach needed diameter of the flat circle bottom of the hat, continue to make rows without increase (do not add more stitches), make SC in SC all the way around for as many rows as needed to reach the desired height of the hat.

The basic hat is ready! Finish the last row with a slip stitch. If you are making the beanie, make a row of slip stitches all around the edge of the hat - it will give the beanie the finished look:

Weave in the loose ends and enjoy the hat. You can now crochet some appliques or flowers for the hat. Your beanie is ready!
Now the base of the hat is ready. You can leave it as it is (the beanie version) or you can continue and make an earflap, a cap, a cloche and many other styles. If you want to continue, do not make a row of slip stitches, this is only for the beanie. After you've made the slip stitch at the end of the last row of the hat continue according to your choice of style.

No comments:

Post a Comment