Friday, June 05, 2015

The Military Recruiter

I was once recruited by someone in the military. During senior year of high school, someone told a military recruiter I was interested and gave him my number. When he called, I explained that I was not interested. But, he kept calling. My Mom said he called for a long time after I left for college. He wasn't taking "no" for an answer.

That was even after both me and my mom explained to him that I was a 5' 2" 95 lb. dance major. Neither of us could understand what I could offer the military. It started in the spring of 1999. Before 9/11. We weren't at war at the time. There wasn't the same level of need for volunteers back then. Yet he persisted.

Someone claiming to be a friend said I'd be interested. Why didn't he let it go once I cleared things up? I can understand the persistence for someone who said they were interested in learning more. But, why was he so persistent over a "friend" recommendation? Why in 1999?

Two of my classmates did enter the Military when we graduated. I used to think it was a bully who called him as a prank. But now I wonder if it was one of them. I wasn't close with either. But it's possible they were asked to provide a list of other possible recruits. Perhaps, they got something in return for each person they recommended that signed up. My number was in the phone book. They could have looked it up. But the persistence doesn't match that casual approach to recruiting. What exactly did they tell him? And why would they recommend me? I still think it was a prank from a bully. Why didn't the recruiter believe me when I told him that was probably what happened?

What was he told? For at least a year after suggesting it was a prank his calls continued. The truth never changed. I probably wouldn't have passed the physical. Even after we explained my size, he persisted. What did he think I could contribute? I am good with computers but am certainly not skilled enough to make a cyber difference. I doubt me holding a gun skillfully will ever look right. Picture that my "guns are great" friends. I bet you're laughing right now at the image. I certainly am!

I don't think the Military has a dance division. Why would they recruit someone who can only offer cooking? Any way you word it, the persistence doesn't match. I have never been athletic. If I had been a talented athlete on a school team, I could understand the persistence. The only thing funnier then an image of me with a gun is watching me run. I am slow. I was always picked last or almost last in gym class. That seemed like a smart choice to me back then. I still feel that way.

For those who knew me back then, can you picture me in an Army uniform? For those who know me now, can you imagine if I had joined? I had great grades in High School. Perhaps he felt I was worth it because of my grades.

I'm named after my Mom's father. He was in the Air Force. For WWII you had to take a placement test. He scored very high so that meant Air Force. I'm scared of heights. Can you imagine me flying airplanes? I'm also scared of ships. But sometimes I wonder about if I took the test, what I would have qualified for. I may not have been able to actually do it, but it may have been fun knowing the answer.

It was the time in my life where the future was ahead of me. I had a lot of options. There are a lot people about the graduate in that place now. Enjoy it. Write down every thought you have in that "what should I do with my future?" battle. Because at my age, it will answer a different question "how did I end up here?" Those notes can guide you when you least expect it. It's also a great way to remind yourself of how your mind worked at 18.

 It's all about decisions. You have to learn from the past, analyze the present, and anticipate the future outcomes to make good decisions. But good decisions then, means a better life 16 years later. There are a lot of people who find careers after serving in the Military. These days, it might be a better choice then an overly expensive college education. At least they pay you while you learn skills! But college has a lot of benefits too. One of them being you're more likely to make it out alive and with all of your limbs. Perhaps that option decreases if you join a fraternity.

I once did a post where I said you are a hero simply for volunteering. It's a big decision to make, joining the military. You make it knowing you could actually die for your country. THAT'S a hero. I have always respected those who serve or served. This is one of many reasons why.

No comments:

Post a Comment