Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Forgotten Holidays: New Year's Day (part 7)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

When we think about the New Year holiday, we think about the New Year's Eve parties that happen today. Our thoughts about New Year's Day amounts to whether or not we have off from work and/or school or not. Sometimes, we think about goals we have for the upcoming year.

There are my resolutions from last year (in the Making Resolutions blog post):

1. Kiss Josh every day (cheating here I do that already)

result: While I didn't keep track, it's something I always do anyway. I'm certain I followed through on this one.


 2. Kiss Zach every day (again, cheating since I do that already too)


result: I didn't track this one either. But he's so kissable. I'm certain I did this one too. 


 3. Gain weight (the losing weight resolution doesn't work so I might as well try the reverse. I'm currently 142 lbs)


result: Interestingly, I actually lost a lot of weight. I guess "gain weight" makes a great resolution if you're on a diet!


 4. Learn how to identify more plants (Fine Gardening has helped with that.  I want to be able to identify favorites during my walks)


result: I did learn what more plants are and learned more about plants I already knew about. Parsley is a biennial. That means that in most areas it completes it's life cycle in two years. I knew that Parsley likes the cold but usually we throw it out at my parent's house after Thanksgiving. This year, I left it planted. My instincts said it would likely come back. When I did the research I learned that as long as it doesn't get too cold, it will flower sometime in January and start growing again in April or May.


 5. Find a middle name for the daughter we'll never have


result: We did this too. Zach's name would have been Caroline if he was a girl. We didn't really have a middle name. We do now.

Caroline Mary

My Great Grandmother has always fascinated me. She was my Mom's Dad's Mom and had a lot of boys and one girl. When she died, the chores were divided. I don't remember how she died or when. If I remember correctly, she was a teacher.

Her picture is in my parent's dining room. I can't take my eyes from it sometimes. I think I look like her. It makes me wonder how much of my personality we share. Either way, it makes the most sense. Josh loves the name too.

As for the current New Year:

We have something big to look forward to this year. The job Josh got in October was 100% commissioned based and required six days a week, at least ten hours a day. So he had to quit to continue job searching. Yesterday, he accepted an offer for his old boss's job at his old company. He's very excited about it!

New Year's Eve is a lot of fun but don't forget about New Year's Day! For me, it's the January Decorating Day. It's usually very cold so as I look around at the dormant plants I envision what it will be like when the thaw comes in the spring. I look at the possibilities the new year is going to bring.

There will be good things and bad things that happen. There will be happy and sad moments. We won't remember all of them. Do you remember everything from 2014? We really just remember the highlights. Those highlights stick with us in the following years. This is what I'll remember from 2014:

1. Zach graduated Preschool and started Kindergarten!
2. Zach started swimming by himself!
3. Josh got laid off
4. Josh's time working commission
5. I started crocheting and making jewelry with embroidery thread again
6. I got the Spitzbuban recipe and they turned out great!
7. We've been married for ten years now.
8. Zach started reading
9. I started dancing as part of my exercises again.
10. Josh overall had a rough year but it ended with a job he's excited about at a company he loves.

I have been noticing myself changing in the past six months. We all do that sometimes. It's like by rediscovering who I was, I am discovering who I am. Usually, I try to predict what the new year will bring on New Year's Day. Last year I was mostly wrong. So I'm not going to make any predictions this year. I'll simply try to remember the things I want to remember most.

As you celebrate on New Year's Eve, don't forget that New Year's Day is special too. instead of looking at the bare branches of the trees and shrubs, envision the changes they will experience during the year. Don't see bleak, see possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment