Monday, September 08, 2014

Kindergarten

Zach started school this past Thursday. Josh worked from home and the three of us walked to school. On the way there, we talked about what to expect. He arrived early enough to play on the playground. When it was close to the doors opening, we went over. They open the doors 15 minutes before school starts. For Thursday and Friday we met in the Cafeteria/Auditorium. There are a lot of parents we knew from High School. Zach knew a few kids from Tot Lot. He never cried and cheered up the one kid who was crying. As usual, he's great at making friends.

Today was the third day. He arrived early enough to play on the playground before school again. He got dressed quickly and quickly walked up the hill to get to school. I think the playground relaxes him before school. I'm not looking forward to the cold weather when he can't play first. Today, the kids entered the school alone. In a sea of taller kids I watched my big boy wave goodbye and smile while saying "Bye, Mom, I'll see you later."

I have planted a bunch of flowers in the first three days of school. I have enjoyed being able to walk to get a bunch of errands done. I miss him, but I appreciate the four hours I get for myself. He misses me but is enjoying making friends. I have made some parent friends too.

Last week Zach and I both felt anxious but excited about Kindergarten. That's typical. He's a great student so far. His "About Me" wheel is due by Wednesday's open house but was turned in on Friday. He brought in a donated tissue box. All of the paperwork required from the parents have been handed in. He had everything he needed for the first day neatly organized and easy to find in his backpack.

Today provided the memory that very well might stick with me forever. It was finally cool enough to walk home from school. He ended up walking with N home. N was the friend I talked about in the post "We Will Still Be, Friends Forever". Watching them walk home was wonderful! I like all of the kids Zach has made friends with. I hope he remains friends with ALL of them through High School and beyond!

http://homewithmommy-fran.blogspot.com/2014/07/we-will-still-be-friends-forever.html

Today Zach has a little Math homework. When he's done with lunch, we will go do it. I want to teach him good work habits. If they become a reflex now, it's how he'll work best when he's older. He looks like a big kid now. I offer him more freedom as he shows he is responsible enough for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment