Monday, August 11, 2014

My Dona

Dona was my babysitter. She was in my life for 18 years. She died a couple of weeks ago of cancer. I said in the "Friends Forever" post that Kindergarten thru High School Graduation are the most important and influential time of your life. She was there for all of mine. She told me stories about myself that my parents never knew about. Apparently, when I was three, I locked myself into a closet. A month later, I locked myself into the car. The police came to let me out both times. She told me the Police officer asked on the time with the car, "is that the same kid?" We had a special bond. She knew me better then anyone when I was a kid. She took part in shaping me into the person I am today. I have always loved her and will very much miss her.

I send my biggest hugs and deepest condolences to her family. They are wonderful people. She was a wonderful person. She was always nice, loving, fun, and caring. I have a huge amount of fond memories of my time with her. I am grateful that she was able to be at my wedding and hold Zach as a newborn.

My Dona. She will always be my Dona. My Dad told me a story. When I was three we were on vacation. I was enjoying myself but, after a few days looked sad. When he asked what's wrong, I answered "I miss my Dona". Now I will miss her forever. She was always special to me and always will be.

Some of my favorite memories are the little things. When I was around 8 - 10 years old she went through a phase of always getting her nails professionally painted. She always got a decoration on one. I was obsessed with her nail decorations and enjoyed just looking at them.

I will always remember around Christmas the house she took us to. The owners created a magical Christmas world including hiring a Santa. It was a special part about Christmas time when I was a kid. She just loved us. She always loved kids and I'm sure one of her favorite things was seeing a child's eyes light up with joy from seeing the Christmas lights.

I will always remember an average afternoon. I would do homework at the kitchen table while she made dinner, to be heated up later. First, she would make me a healthy snack. It was usually grapes, diced apples, diced pears, and cheese. Sometimes there would be something else but these were the snack bowls I remember.

I remember the table we took at the town pool every day. It was the second one in from the path closest to the 3ft entrance steps. We would spend most of our summer days at the pool. I will always fondly hold the image of her at that table while I swam. She went in for a short dip during the adult swims. At our town's pool, they periodically get the kids out of the pool so the adults could swim peacefully for 15 minutes. Most kids just sat on the edge of the pool staring at the lifeguards waiting for them to blow their whistles to let the kids back in.

I will always remember the Snapple bottle sitting next to her all the time and her big smile. I will always remember her crocheting a blanket when she was pregnant with her now college age son. She used to live near where we live now. I have been there many times. I walk by her old apartment all of the time. I think about her all of the time. She was family at heart.

She was around age 52. She started taking care of me when I was 6 months old. I will cherish the little memories of our every day routines that she was a part of as well as the special things that weren't routine. She was paid to take care of us but it was clear she loved us. I hope she knew we loved her too. No matter what lies ahead for us I know that I will forever be guided by my time with my Dona. I hope she knew the influence she had on my life and how much I loved her.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Fran, I'm so sorry. She was such a sweet woman. I remember when I used to hang out with you, she would take us to the pool in the summer. I am shocked to here! My prayers and condolences to her family and to you, your brother, and your mom, and dad. I know you guys loved her very much and that is a hard loss to endure. Prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luisa. I do miss her. In April, my "A Cancer Story" blog post started being read over 100 times a day. The story was about Heather and her Mesothelioma survival but I mentioned a section for those with family who didn't survive their cancer. It's been read about 50 times a day since she died but hasn't been over 100 since the day before. I suspect she was reading that post, she knew about my blog since the beginning. If she did read it, I hope it helped. If her family is reading it, it I hope it helps them. The post includes a prayer for those who lost their loved one to cancer.

      Delete