Friday, June 27, 2014

Fireworks

1. Fireworks
2. Red, White, and Blue
3. Stars and Stripes
4. Flags
5. Hamburgers
6. Hot Dogs
7. Grilled Chicken
8. Potato Chips
9. Potato Salad
10. Pasta Salad
11. Watermelon
12. Ice Cream
13. Kids Playing
14. Adults Socializing

I'm sure either this weekend or next weekend most Americans will celebrate the 4th of July with at least some of the above. Most will happen at a BBQ. Clothing and dishes will have fireworks, stars, stripes, flags, or be red, white and blue.

It's Independence Day. The day we adopted the Declaration of Independence. We'd love to high five it's authors and ask how they would reword the second amendment if they knew what the future of firearms would become. Long after they're gone, their legends live on. Books on them weren't written by them or people who knew them. We don't really know how they really felt about things. Did Ben Franklin even like John Adams?

http://blog.usa.gov/post/90058674497/fireworks-laws-by-state

That link is for each state's Fireworks law. Only a professionally trained Pyro Technician can use fireworks in NJ. There will probably be a good amount of illegal fireworks going off until after Labor Day. We tend to hear the occasional scattered firework go off. Ironically, I just heard three fireworks go off in the background. It's lunchtime.

 I wish they were legal but with proper regulation for safety. In my area, there are a lot of houses close together. But there are some places with open fields. I suspect there would be less dangerous firework use if they were permitted in some places. I think most people would follow the rules to be safe as long as they could use the fireworks.

I love fireworks. As a kid, I saw two firework displays each year. After we got married, I would insist on seeing fireworks ON the 4th of July. Now, I'm happy as long as I can see the town's fireworks. That will depend on when my town has them this year. I might have to miss them for Zach's bedtime. I'll definitely still hear them even if I don't see them!

I love the BIG shows some towns put on! It somehow makes the fireworks prettier with music in the background. I used to LOVE choreographing dances and I can really appreciate when just the right firework goes off at just the right moment in a song! It's the kind of moment that brings out emotions. For many of us Americans, BBQs and Fireworks are the REAL start of Summer!!!

Below is my Healthy Potato Salad recipe. Maybe you can serve it in a bowl with white stars on a blue background on a red and white striped tablecloth.

Healthy Potato Salad

Serves: 4

Ingredients

2 Cups russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks

2 tbsp Tarragon vinegar

1 tbsp olive oil

1/2 tbsp spicy brown mustard

1/3 C. Light mayonnaise

1/4 cup 1% milk

1 scallion

1 medium celery stalks, chopped

Directions

  1. In 4-quart saucepan, place potatoes and enough water to cover; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
  2. Meanwhile, in large bowl, with wire whisk, mix vinegar, oil, and mustard.
  3. Drain potatoes.
  4. Add hot potatoes to bowl with vinaigrette; gently stir with rubber spatula to combine.
  5. Let stand until cool.
  6. In small bowl, with wire whisk, mix mayonnaise and milk.
  7. Add mayonnaise mixture, scallions and celery to potatoes.
  8. Gently stir with rubber spatula to combine.
  9. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

 

For a Party

4 Cups russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks

¼ C  vinegar

2 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp spicy brown mustard

3/4 C.  mayonnaise

½  C  milk

2 scallions

2 medium celery stalks, chopped

 




No comments:

Post a Comment