Sunday, June 01, 2014

Drawing and Shopping for Josh

This Winter I picked up drawing as a hobby. Somehow we got into a routine where I draw a picture for Zach and a picture for Josh after Josh goes to bed every Friday night. Zach has:

Superheroes:
1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Green Lantern
4. The Flash
5. Aquaman
6. Spiderman
7. Iron Man
8. Captain America
9. Hulk
10. Thor
11. Wolverine

My Little Pony:
1. Twilight Sparkle
2. Pinkie Pie
3. Rarity
4. Flutter Shy
6. Apple Jack
7. Rainbow Dash
8. Spike

Littlest Pet Shop (currently working my way through):
1. Russell
2. Saneil
3. Minka

Josh has the following:

TV Shows (CBS Dramas)
1. Hawaii 5-0 surfer
2. Blue Bloods shield (NYPD shields for the three rankings of the Reagan family dripping blue blood)
3. Elementary (a flash drive with an arrow pointing down to a box with a question mark in it)
4. Intelligence (Gabriel from the show with a computer chip on his forehead)
5. Person of Interest (Camera pointed to a woman with her face on a computer screen)
6. NCIS:LA (Palm Tree with a bomb at the base of it's trunk)
7. CSI (Glass with a CSI green fingerprint on it)

Humor (the ones I can remember):
1. An arm sticking out of a pile of snow holding a shovel that looked like ours with glasses like Josh's on the ground.

That was done January 31st. Apparently, God wanted to see what it would really look like since that was followed by a February that was basically a month long snow storm. Eventually the picture DID become a reality.



2. A piggy bank with money falling in through the top and out through the bottom.

3. Cooked Meat: Steak, Chicken, Salmon, and Pork

He has a small recipe binder and I had been encouraging him to look for a couple of recipes that I don't make that he thinks he'd like to. I'm a good cook and as you know cooking is a hobby of mine in the Winter. There are a few rare occasions when I can't cook. He's nervous about making things that I make because I'm so good at it. I suggested he find his own recipes for meals I don't cook so he can have at least one meal that he LIKES cooking and isn't worried about being compared to me. This picture was to get him motivated to look for something. I didn't say anything in addition to the picture. I don't want him to feel forced into this. He liked the picture and it did make him hungry.

4 A running faucet

Yes, the first thing he did was go to the bathroom. He says he still has to do that whenever he sees this picture. I drew it because I was curious if that would be the result or not.

5 An Ant family. The Mom leads the way without carrying anything, the Dad is carrying a giant box and the little boy ant is carrying a small box

From this Friday. Ants can carry twice their body weight. Zach is going through a phase where he wants to carry things and is trying to lift heavy objects. He impressed Josh and me this morning by not just lifting but properly stacking two heavy tubs of shoes. I'm sure many families can relate to this picture.

6 An eye and eyebrow

Last weeks picture. It's what you get when you have no hobbies and keep answering the question "what do you want me to draw you a picture of?" with "I don't care" every Friday for five and a half months.

Before drawing the ants picture the conversation went like this:
Me: "What do you want me to draw a picture of?"
Josh: "I don't care. I like everything you draw me"
Me: "You might end up with a nose if you don't give me any ideas"
Josh: "You'll think of something."
Me: "You need a hobby"

He's actually tried to explore different hobbies in the past. He just hasn't found a good fit. He likes superheroes but other then the Marvel and DC Comic encyclopedias we got him for Christmas, it's a hard topic to find adult stuff for in our budget. What's left is the TV shows mentioned above that we are both fans of. It makes picture ideas hard and gift shopping hard. Once you have the underwear, socks, sneakers, Jeans, and shirts...............he's covered.

Zach had this problem when shopping for Josh. They go alone to Target all the time so we went there to shop for Josh. I have new swimsuits and Jeans for him. But Zach is old enough to choose something by himself. I asked Zach what Josh looks at when they are together and all of the things he mentioned were things for Zach. Basically, superhero books and legos. We walked up and down all the aisles just to see what would make sense. He chose a pair of Rainbow Dash lazy pants. (Rainbow Dash from My Little Pony).

I wanted to get him something else just in case he didn't like them. We asked him who his favorite My Little Pony character is while watching the show that night as a family. He did answer "Rainbow Dash". I got him a water bottle with a freeze back built it. We take a lot of walks on dates and family walks. He has a water bottle but not one with a freezer pack. You put the lid of the water bottle in the freezer and attached to it is a pack with water that freezes. It keeps the water bottle water colder for longer. Zach and I each have one.

So, is he going to get a picture of a nose next week simply because I can't think of anything else? Probably not. I just can't think of what TO draw him. I won't force him to like any particular hobby. I have always taken the approach "just try it". That worked for:

1. White vest, tie, and cumber bun for the wedding
2. Sandals
3. Mochnecks
4. Sleeveless shirts (he hates tanks but loves the sleeveless)

You can't force an interest in something. you either ARE interested or you AREN'T. The only real hobby I have seen him have is organizing his closet, his dresser, his nightstand, and all places we store food. But we don't have any more places for any new shelves.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

No comments:

Post a Comment