Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Pansies Are Safe

Pansies can survive as cold as 20 degrees. It's one of the reasons they are one of the first flowers in Nurseries. They were safe.

 Last week we had a couple of nights below freezing and most people I talked to were concerned. I knew they would look limp and sad but I also knew they were still growing and would perk up. I knew my bulb flowers would survive too. They are created to.

My real concern was the Forsythia. It only bloomed the day before the first of the two nights of frost hit. But sure enough, those flowers are still healthy and beautiful.

I will save my real Spring gardening blog post for early May. That's when the Marigolds should be ready and my garden full. But I heard some version of "what a shame, after so many people planted all these flowers" frequently.

I meant to do this post BEFORE the frost but got busy. By now most of you probably have seen that the Pansies are just fine. The only plants that wouldn't be are those that typically aren't available in nurseries until the "all season" plants are available.

By "all season" I mean most Perennials like Black - Eyed - Susans and Annuals Marigolds, begonias, Impatiens, ect...... It means the plants that love the heat of Summer and die with the first frost in October and November. These are the plants around for most of the gardening season.

Like my Pansies, Zach is safe, healthy, and well cared for. I take care of them both carefully and lovingly. When the frost was over, I went into the garden to do what I needed to so they can grow strong. I cut off the dead parts so they can use their energy to grow healthy blooms. It's a peaceful thing that results in plants being full, beautiful, and healthy.

A month ago I did a post on losing patience and feeling powerless. The odd part is that one of my favorite things about gardening is how patient you have to be. I watch my garden carefully and it might seem like a long time but I know what beauty will arise with my patience. I have looked closely at these Pansies. Most of them haven't bloomed yet but they are slowly getting there. The buds are there. You just have to look closely to see them.

I have slowly been watching them get bigger. It's not as obvious as watching bulbs sprout but it's there.  If I am patient in the next week or two, they will open. Even when it seems like there hasn't been a change, there has been. In time, the beauty is there. The Pansies are safe. I see progress. I'll happily be patient. The Patience will pay off in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment