Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Kindergarten......................One Step Closer

It's that time of year. It's time for Kindergarten registration. A year ago I had walked to what will be Zach's elementary school and got the information that I would need for registration. In January, I got the forms from the Pulmonologist that he needs. Yesterday, I walked back to that Elementary school and registered him for Kindergarten. Now he's one step closer.

He's one step closer to my dream. When I was a Substitute Teacher and a Tutor, first through third grades were definitely my strengths. But I'm not surprised. When I was in high school and thought about where I wanted to be when I'm in my late 30s, I would always picture myself making a healthy snack and helping my Elementary-age kids with their homework. When Zach was born, I realized I will literally be 35 when he is in the first grade. Two years from now, it will be a reality. Now he's one step closer.

It's a step that is inevitable. He had two big growth spurts in February and now he looks like a five year old. He looks like a Kindergartener. He can do a lot of new things and wants to try to do a lot more. He's one step closer to being a real big kid!

I had subbed at this school back in 2005 and 2006. There was only one teacher I wanted to remember. So I can ask for my child to have someone else. There was a substitute secretary yesterday who's child had this teacher. The more I talked about my experience subbing in her classroom the more she realized it was the same teacher. This teacher HAD BEEN tenured but I was relieved to learn she wasn't teaching at the school anymore. It was the worst classroom management setup I had ever seen!

This Substitute for the secretary yesterday told me about her character. I had formed my opinion just on what was clearly poor teaching skills but apparently she is outright mean among other things. This Mom reassured me that the remaining teachers are great and I believe her. I feel better knowing that Zach will be in good hands.

These situations are a little weird for me. Eight years ago I saw things from the teacher's point of view. As a parent, I know there is one big complication. Teachers spend a lot of time with their students so they feel like they are experts on them. But Parents really know their kids better. At least the kinds of parents that spend time with their kids and pay attention to their interests.

I combine both. I know it's important to have positive communication with your child's teacher or teachers. It's important to ask how they do in school and reinforce what they are learning in school at home. This includes their strengths as well as their weaknesses. It's important for the teachers to acknowledge that the parents know their kids best. But it's also important for the parent to respect when the teacher is concerned about something and look into it further. I want to know how he's doing. There is a deeper story to the grades on the tests and report cards and a deeper story to their behavior. The teachers and parents need to work together to figure out what's going on if a negative pattern develops.

He's one step closer to Kindergarten. He's one step closer to figuring out what his favorite subjects are. One step closer to figure out what Major he'll need in college to make those favorite subjects into a career. One step closer to becoming the adult I know will make us proud. This is the life span and this is something I have always been interested in. Early experiences carry with you always and do mold the person you become. I'm sure if my parents really think about the Kindergartener I was, they wouldn't be surprised about who I am. I look forward to seeing Zach's story unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment