Friday, November 02, 2012

Aftermath

We still don't have power. Luckily, my parents do have power. Explain to me why the PSE&G trucks are on their street right now instead of ours? Anyway, we have been staying here since Tuesday morning. Basically, all around us is mostly no power and extremely little gas. Guess the two things most people need most. I'm tired of the following sentences:

1. Do we have power yet?
2. Do you have power yet?
3. It's sooo cold when will we get power back?
4. Can you believe they are now saying the 9th !?!?!?
5. I hope we get the power back soon.
6. Do you know where I can get gas? I'm on empty.
7. Did you see the lines at the gas station!
8. Were you able to get into work today? or I was/wasn't able to get into work today.
9. Did you find somewhere to stay? or I can't go anywhere no one has power.
10. Which stores are open?

At least they are all legitimate questions/statements/exclamations. Overall I'm trying to find a new topic. I've been saying my expectations are to have power by Thanksgiving but I'm not getting my hopes up. I try to be realistic, it means less disappointment. At least with staying at my parents we have a place to go for warmth and electricity. I know many people aren't this lucky. We actually got it less then a lot of people so the blessing is it could have been worse the curse is that it means we're last on the priority list.

The sanity saver has been my garden. I've tended it daily and have been able to check the weather so I know starting tomorrow it's going to be freezing temps at some point in the day for at least three days so that means the Mums will be gone soon. That reference was from the owner of my Nursery. She says it's not the first frost, you need at least three days of frost for it to effect the flowers. I exclude my two remaining Marigolds because I'm starting to think at least one of them has super powers and will outlast everything else in my garden excluding my decorations, the pachysandra and Forsythia. Even then the Decorations change on December 1st and I might be surprised. Most of what I have been doing is care research like when to start watering the Pachysandra and Forsythia (unless 10 days of no rain not until about 80 degrees and then about every other day). I like having flowers in front of the Forsythia but the Forsythia droops in time and I was concerned about needing a backup plan but at my nursery, which has power back and started putting out their Christmas trees today, they said the size I have it will have beautiful blooms and can stay this size forever without effecting flowering. GREAT!!! But I have a backup plan anyway that I need to map out in excel. I'll be spending a lot of time on the computer when we get the power back.

There is no power at Zach's school and yesterday he started asking for his friends. I contacted the two I have in my cell but couldn't make it work. He really misses school. I have a workbook here and the CD for my Fall Worksheets from the books I made. We haven't done them yet but we're running out of alternatives. I took him to the apartment with me yesterday for a quick trip and he loved it. Yesterday was decorating day. I've been going two or three times a day to check on things, tend the garden, ect..... and in the morning yesterday I decorated. I took my vase of Mums to my parents house because I was getting homesick and they are so pretty I don't want to waste them.

1. Do we have power yet? NO!!!!
2. Do you have power yet? Probably not
3. It's sooo cold when will we get power back? Apparently, by the 9th
4. Can you believe they are now saying the 9th !?!?!? No
5. I hope we get the power back soon. I hear ya!!!
6. Do you know where I can get gas? I'm on empty. I'd tell you but they'll probably either be out by the time you get there or have an incredibly long line
7. Did you see the lines at the gas station! Yup, it's why my empty car is still at the apartment and I've been borrowing my Mom's
8. Were you able to get into work today? or I was/wasn't able to get into work today. Not applicable but Josh was able to the last 3 days. They are in Central Jersey and lack power too but have a generator going. Although a cheese warehouse without power is never good and he's the Quality Control guy.
9. Did you find somewhere to stay? or I can't go anywhere no one has power. My parent's house, I hope you find somewhere if you don't get power back soon!!!
10. Which stores are open? Basics by now so unless you want gas you'll find something. The reference seems to be if they sell coffee they are at least a little open unless damaged.

A friend/neighbor has named me the "Mayor" of our area at the garden apartment complex. I tend to always know what's going on and try to make sure the things that need to be taken care of get taken care of. If a porch light is out I'm usually the one to report it. I'm the first person who called PSE&G when we lost 1/2 power. Because of that neighbors has been in contact asking if I knew about the power. Last October I was so busy with apartment business I felt like an Administrative Assistant. Tonight in the span of 15 minutes I heard from two neighbors. The friend/neighbor, Linda, has been in constant contact with me since Tuesday. They know I am here with my parents but stop by at least twice a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment