Sunday, July 01, 2012

Shaking Things Up (edited 8/12/2012)

I'm in a cooking rutt. At least for dinner. My menus usually look like this:

May 1 - October 31
Breaded Chicken, Stuffing, and Broccoli
Grilled Chicken, Pasta Salad, and Green Beans
London Broil, Pasta Salad, and Green Beans
Home Made Cheeseburgers and Fries or Tacos
Family Dinner Wednesdays at my Mom's
Take out Fridays
Chicken Catchatore (garlic is the only spice), Spaghetti and Salad (unless there is a party that week)

November 1 - April 30
Breaded Chicken, Stuffing, and Broccoli
Grilled Chicken, Sweet Potatoes, and Green Beans
London Broil, Baked Potatoes, and Green Beans
Home Made Cheeseburgers and Fries or Tacos
Family Dinner Wednesdays and sometimes Sundays at my Mom's
Take out Fridays
Chicken Catchatore, Spaghetti and Salad

After resubscribing to Good Housekeeping I have been inspired to adjust the choices to look like this:

Warm Weather (May 1 - October 31)
Chicken Dill Saute and Cresent Rolls
Grilled Chicken, Green Beans and Pasta Salad or Fries
Salmon, Salad, and Chips
Salmon and Steak, Green Beans, and Chips
Breaded Chicken Stuffing & Broccoli
London Broil, Green Beans, and Pasta Salad
Burgers and Fries or Chips
Tacos
Cold Weather (November 1 - April 30)
Autumn Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
Roast Turkey, Broccoli and Turkey Stuffing
Chicken Catchatore, Salad, and Spagetti
Smothered Chicken and Roasted Potatoes
Breaded Chicken, Stuffing & Broccoli
London Broil, Green Beans, and Baked Potatos
Burgers and Fries
Tacos

Chicken Dill Saute and Autumn Chicken are from the Good Housekeeping website (link below). We tried the Chicken Dill Saute tonight. It was fantastic!!! Josh and I loved it. Zach started off mixed but ate it. I'm still looking for a 17" roasting pan for the Autumn Chicken. Does anyone have an extra? I'll try closer to November it's too hot for that one now anyway. We get anniversary money from my parents each year and split it in half, now I know what to do with my half, something to help me do something special for my husband, who is excited to try these new recipes.

Autumn Chicken
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/autumn-chicken-dinner-950?click=recipe_sr


Chicken Dill
When Zach was younger, I made Smothered Chicken which is grilled chicken with mushrooms and cooked onion on top covered with melted cheddar cheese. The extra mushrooms and onions were the veggies and I made Sweet potatoes too. Zach didn't like it then but I think he will be ready come November to try it again and it's Josh's favorite. The recipe is in the recipe binder I started to make to distract myself from trying to conceive issues back before Zach. Then I got pregnant and much like gardening, couldn't keep up with it until now. I still have a few recipes left I need from my mom and dad including a steak and mushrooms my dad makes.

I hope Zach likes the Autumn Chicken and Chicken Dill. I've modified the recipes to be a little healthier and to fit our pantry. Modifications are minor and below. They mostly involves not using salt and pepper.

Chicken Dill Sauté

Ingredients

  • 1 tsp lemon
  • 1 pound(s) skinless, boneless chicken-breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
  • Oil
  • 1 small (4- to 6-ounce) onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 large peppers (orange and yellow), sliced
  • 1/2 cup(s) water
  • 8 ounce(s) sugar snap peas, strings removed, cut in half
  • 1/3 cup(s) fresh dill, chopped (or spice)















Directions

  1. Coat Chicken in the Lemon
  2. In 12-inch skillet, heat oil on medium-high (coat the bottom). Add onion, peppers, and 2 tablespoons water. Cook 3 minutes or until softened, stirring. Transfer to large plate.
  3. In same skillet, Add peas, and 2 tablespoons water,
  4. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until beginning to brown, stirring occasionally.
  5. In same skillet, Add chicken. Cook 3 minutes or until golden, stirring once.
  6. Return vegetables to pan;
  7. add remaining 1/4 cup water.
  8. Cook 1 minute or until saucy, stirring.
  9. Stir in dill

Autumn Chicken Dinner


Ingredients

  • 4 medium ears of corn
  • 2 medium zucchini
  • 4 large plum tomatoes
  • 4 medium chicken-breast halves (or boneless chicken breasts)
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried oregano leaves (or spice)
  • 3 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon(s) olive oil or Canola Oil
  • 2 tablespoon(s) fresh basil, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) sugar















Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Remove husks and silk from corn. With serrated knife, cut each ear of corn crosswise into 3 pieces. Cut zucchini into 3-inch chunks. Cut each tomato lengthwise in half.
  2. Place chicken breasts in large roasting pan (17" by 11 1/2"); sprinkle with oregano. Arrange corn and zucchini around chicken. Bake chicken and vegetables 30 minutes. Add tomatoes and bake 15 minutes longer or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a knife and vegetables are tender.
  3. Meanwhile, in cup, with fork, mix lemon juice, olive or salad oil, chopped basil, and sugar.
  4. Arrange chicken and vegetables on large platter. Brush chicken and vegetables with lemon mixture. (Remove skin from chicken if needed.)

Zach loves a variety of food but you just never know. He's going through a lot of changes and was reluctant to try the Chicken Dill Saute tonight. He ate most of it though without whining when he started eating. I have one good housekeeping recipe back from when I still got it (I cancelled when I got pregnant due to lack of time to read it). It's called Balsamic Chicken and Pears. The only weird ingredient that kept this out of the rotation is Chicken Broth but it's healthy, easy and moist. I love the food I usually make but it's time for a change. I can't wait to get more recipes (and there are a lot of other things I like and love about them too).

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/balsamic-chicken-pears-ghk0208?click=rec_sr


I've also found other new recipes. It's been fun. I got a nice looking potato salad recipe online but those are hit or misses so I have no idea how it will go. We get this frozen salmon for date night/no family dinner night so I needed a nonsalmon offering for if Zach is with us. At my parents we sometimes do a "Surf and Turf" of meat and salmon so everyone can have both. That's what the Salmon and Steak is. I don't make special things, what's served is what you have to choose from, but I make sure there is at least something we all eat. We'll all get a little of both Salmon and Steak and Zach can just skip the salmon. I'll be making that tomorrow for dinner. Sometimes you have to explore to find something to get excited about. I might change the side from Potato salad to something else though. I'm making it tonight for tomorrow. The other Good Housekeeping recipes I have made have been really good so that is hopeful.
All-American Potato Salad

 
Ingredients

  • 3 all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 1/4 cup(s) vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon(s) spicy brown mustard
  • 1 cup(s) mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 medium celery stalks, chopped




Directions

  1. In 4-quart saucepan, place potatoes and enough water to cover; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
  2. Meanwhile, in large bowl , with wire whisk, mix vinegar, oil, and mustard.
  3. Drain potatoes.
  4. Add hot potatoes to bowl with vinaigrette; gently stir with rubber spatula to combine.
  5. Let stand until cool.
  6. In small bowl, with wire whisk, mix mayonnaise and milk.
  7. Add mayonnaise mixture and celery to potatoes.
  8. Gently stir with rubber spatula to combine.
  9. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.


http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/all-american-potato-salad-1302?click=recipe_sr


Edit: The Potato salad, my version, tasted great. I look a lot thinner now and that's due to three things.

1. Instead of a ton of little snacks I have 1 big snack.
       a. 4 slices of Cheddar cut in half (squares) about 1/4 inch thick
       b. A stick of string cheese
       c. 4 reduced fat ritz crackers with the salt scrapped off
       d. 4 slices of pepperoni (1/4 in thick)
       e. 25 grapes

2. Adding a bottle of water to my glass of wine at night.

3. Most days for breakfast I have Special K with unsalted sliced almonds and fresh blueberries (about 1 1/4c of cereal)

No comments:

Post a Comment