Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Not Loud Enough

My voice isn't loud enough. As a stay at home mom I am not taken seriously by a lot of people. I can't possibly have something intelligent to say, right? Why take me seriously when I talk about the serious stuff like politics? Here's why.

BA - Dance
Minor - Management
Certified to classroom teach P - 5 (I'd need alternate route)
Assistant Manager - retail
Art Consultant Thomas Kinkade Gallery
Tutor and Substitute

Most importantly, I heavily research from reliable sources blog posts on health, psychology, religion, and politics among others. Over time I have learned a lot about a lot of things. I'm worth listening to. Because it's not just opinion. I back my words up with facts and a unique combination of experiences.

Recently, I submitted a possible article to the New York Times. I was afraid. Yes, I write for this blog. But, I'm submitting this article at the same time they got plenty of articles from professional journalists and those who have studied journalism in college. A serious media source like that couldn't possibly take me seriously.

They didn't. My voice wasn't loud enough. But, I'm happy about that. A year ago I joined a local resistance group. Our bipartisan goal is to oust our longtime representative. His father was also a congressman so it's become way too easy for him! I mentioned that group in the article to the New York Times. In retrospect I'd rather not be that easy to find.

I wish my voice was louder. Sometimes it is. Some posts get shared on social media and become very popular. I have important things to say. Good advice that later proves to be good advice!

I wish they took my advice on the government shutdown! The party of social issues is the minority party. DACA is important. Separating families is a very bad thing. Undocumented immigrants are paying taxes. Why aren't they documented and find a way to document them! But, it's a risky thing to lay on the line for the shutdown.

In states like NJ we have a lot of angry democrats. Angry that the congressional democrats ended the shutdown without resolving DACA. But, democrats in swing and red states did the right thing. Those voters will shut things down over CHIP (Child Health Insurance Program) but not immigrants!

I agree with them. If we want to win one of the chambers or both in November, we have to become the party that has strong and clear plans for healthcare and the economy. Bottom line, the candidate that will make your paycheck bigger is the candidate you are voting for. At least for parts of the country.

But, my voice wasn't big enough. Now presidential hopefuls will have to have other things those voters like if they hope to win in 2020. I might not be a career political expert, but my research has taught me how important it is to not go so far left we alienate people!

In October I am going to be doing a blog series. Different issues on how congress has handled things and their effects. Researched throughout the year. Articles collected only from strongly reliable bipartisan sources to back me up. As they appear. Topics collected as the year goes on.

Healthcare, the tax bill, government assistance, capitalism, and where the democrats stand on these issues. Those are the issues so far. These are real important issues. I will be focusing on congress, not Trump. Congressmen and women are on the ballot in November, not Trump. I want to remind voters what republicans in congress have been doing as they approach reelection. Remind them that the tax plan benefits received this year are temporary.

But, this is a small blog and my voice isn't loud enough. People who really need to be reminded of these things before voting won't see these posts. And that scares me. Because that forgetfulness could lead to more disastrous years like 2017 was. At least it ended with democrats winning important seats! We can stop the harmful legislature by taking over at least one chamber. It would literally save lives.

What would it take for my voice to be louder? Loud enough to be heard in October by those who could use those reminders most? These days the key is social media. I post all blog posts to my facebook page. It's private. If my friends across the country share it, then their friends see it. If those friends share it, then more see it. My voice gets louder with each share.

I'm tired of not being heard. I'm tired of not being taken seriously because this is just a mommy blog for a stay at home mom. I have something of value to say. I'm educated, I have diverse life experiences, and I research before speaking.

In October, help me be loud enough. Loud enough to make a difference! Because the shutdown would have been avoided if my voice was loud enough in December. It wasn't loud enough then. Help it grow stronger. Help it reach farther. Help me finally be loud enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment